Tuesday, August 28, 2012

How not to make dairy-free blueberry yogurt


I love blueberry yogurt, but I do not care for dairy. When I found a dairy-free recipe for blueberry yogurt in my grandmother’s raw vegan food book, I was excited. I could not wait to try out the recipe and share it with the Closed Lids’ community. 

The instructions and ingredients were simple; blend together:
1 Haas Avocado
Handful of Pitted Dates
1 cup Frozen Blueberries

Sounds easy, but I miserably failed at this concoction. For one, it would not blend, so then I moved the mixture into the food processor. That semi-worked, but I could not figure out why the mixture was chunky. Turns out, I was not using pitted dates, but dates with the seeds. That was the beginning of my failure to make dairy-free yogurt. I was all for eating around the seeds, but the mixture just did not taste good.  The ‘yogurt’ is sitting in my fridge and I have to toss it because it just did not taste good and it turned solid. As much as I hate to waste food, it has to go. 


My failed attempt at yogurt
I love to experiment with food and I did not want to quit on this recipe, it had potential. So last night I went back to the drawing board and came up with a dairy-free blueberry smoothie recipe all based on the Avocado smoothie recipe I shared last year

The instructions and ingredients are simple; blend together:
1 Haas Avocado
2 cups Frozen blueberries and Bananas (optional)
1-2 cups Almond Milk
1 Tablespoon Honey

Voila! A dairy-free blueberry smoothie that tastes delicious. That yielded about 24 ounces of smoothie. I froze 16 ounces in my Ball plastic jars  and the remaining 8 ounces in the Ball jars was taste tested my sisters and friend. They enjoyed it, but said it could have been sweeter. 

Now you know how not to make dairy-free blueberry yogurt, and how to make dairy-free blueberry smoothie. 

Any suggestions to what went wrong with my yogurt attempt?


***Lisa-Marie

On any given day, you can find L.Marie on her website, www.closedlids.com, on Facebook, www.facebook.com/ClosedLids, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/closedlids . Join the conversation and interact

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...