Friday, January 20, 2012

Eat Like a West Indian, Lose Weight?

December 18, 2011, I left for Haiti to visit my grandmother. I was a tired, overworked individual with dark circles. I left January 5,2012, a new person; energized, well rested without dark circles. In three weeks I changed my life around. I wondered, if I ate and slept like they do in Haiti, would I drop weight and be more rested. The answer- yes!

One of the first words out of my grandmother's mouth when I arrived, was that I looked horrible. And she was right. Three weeks prior to me leaving for Haiti, I was going to bed by 7am on average and waking up at 11am on average. I was getting sometimes less than 3 hours of sleep a day, there were a few days I did not sleep at all. One day I went to bed at 10am. I was filling my schedule with work and obsessing with growing my company Lisa Inks. My decent eating habits went out the window. I was eating at all hours of the day or not eating at all. I was sick in a different way. My body was slowly 'dying'. The last night before I went to Haiti I did not sleep before my flight and I felt it in my heart. My body felt odd, my heart was beating differently, and I could barely hold a conversation.

I believe that I went to Haiti before I crashed. In a no arguing type of way, my grandmother stated that I had to go to bed early and she stood true to her word. I was in bed by 7pm every night and up by 6:30am every morning. By 8am,  I was eating a large breakfast. By 2pm, I was eating a large lunch. That was it. I ate two meals a day and I was not hungry. If I did feel a little hungry, I was eating a piece of fruit.

I was eating fresh food; chicken, fish, beef, goat, that was butchered that same day. Fruit and vegetables straight from the tree. My body was loving the care and attention. As a result, I dropped some pounds, cut some inches, and turned my sleeping habits around. I now go to bed by 10pm and wake up by 7:30am. I eat breakfast and have a large lunch. I do not feel hungry later in the evening and the only thing I consume after 7pm is fruit or nuts/seeds.

It is hard for me to believe that I changed my horrible habits, but I did. I feel great and will keep up this new lifestyle.

Has a vacation ever changed your lifestyle for the positive?

L.M

First Few Days

First Few Days


First Few Days

First Few Days

Last Days

Last Days

Last Days



Last Days

On any given day, you can find L.Marie on her website, www.closedlids.com, on Facebook, www.facebook.com/ClosedLids, and on Twitter, www.twitter.com/closedlids . Join the conversation and interact.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful -- Ash

Changing Woman said...

Thank you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...