Monday, September 27, 2010

Mix It Up Monday: Jesus M. Maldonado- The Truth Within Fast Foods "McDonalds"

This week's Mix It Up Monday post is an article by Jesus M. Maldonado. He discusses the dangers of eating McDonalds and his own personal story about transitioning to raw vegan. If you would like to connect with Jesus, you can reach him via email (Givingyouhealth@gmail.com), on his blog or on Twitter

The Truth Within Fast Foods "McDonalds"






If your one of those people who can't seem to stay away from McDonalds, you have no clue what actually goes inside your body. Hopefully after reading this article you'll hang up them gloves and call it quits. 

 I think we all know how popular McDonalds are and how good their food tastes, but what the majority don't know is what actually goes inside the food that McDonalds offers. Its actually quite disturbing to say the least, but before I get into detail on this matter I'm going to give you my experience with McDonalds addiction and how it affected my life.

 Now for those who don't know me, I was very obese in my early-mid teens and weighed about 200 lbs. 200 lbs is not so bad if your a tall fit guy but I'm kind of short standing at about 5"3-5"4, which means I was well over my natural weight. I have no one to blame but myself for letting my body get that way but I will say this, McDonalds was my best friend in aiding me to achieve that point of obesity. If it wasn't for McDonalds I most likely wouldn't have had to go through the struggle that I went through in order to get to the healthy state that I am in today.

 It all started when I moved into my grandparents house around the age of 10, my mom was struggling with paying bills so she had to work double shifts and my grandparents took care of me for the few years my mom got back on her feet. Being that my grandparents were so busy already, my uncle decided to look after me and my brother and take us out every weekend. My uncle always liked to go out places so he'd always take us out to the movies, arcades, laser tagging, and all that other fun stuff you could think of. After all the fun he would always take us out to eat and being that McDonalds was cheap and right around the corner from us it was always first on the list of things to eat. It became like a pattern.. hangout, have fun, and eat McDonalds and before you knew it I was 14 years old, 80 lbs heavier and couldn't climb up a flight of steps without being exhausted.

 One day I decided that this wasn't the life I wanted to live, so I made a change and refrained from eating McDonalds or any fast food for that matter. It wasn't easy, I gave in a few times but eventually my "rehab" was done and I no longer craved a McChicken with French Fries and a medium sized Coke(my fav McDonalds meal). Within a few weeks I dropped 20 lbs and that was the beginning of what turned out to be a long journey into what I am now, a Vegan Raw Foodist. Whenever I look back at those pictures of myself of me being overweight I never get disgusted but I actually thank my old self for going through that unhealthy path for it probably would have never changed me into the health conscious person that I am today. Now I try and help others who were once like me and hopefully I change some peoples lives for the better.

 Now enough of my story, down to the dirty work exposing McDonalds for what they really are. First I'll point out that no matter what meal you get from McDonalds, it will most likely have SUGAR in it. After looking through McDonalds products and ingredients list, almost everything in their products contain SUGAR. Everything from their patty to their buns and their sauces have sugar in it. The only meal I'll say your safe with is a side salad without the croutons and dressing. No wonder everybody's so addicted to this stuff, no matter what you eat your eating sugar, AND salt. Mix sugar and salt and you have a deadly drug waiting to take over your taste buds. If you haven't read my article about refined sugars then I advise you to do so!

  If your one of those people who think a order of fries won't hurt, think again. You might think their just potatoes cooked in oil with some salt added, but these fries are actually loaded with harmful preservatives and anti-foaming agents, Dimethylpolysiloxane being one of them. Did you know that Dimethylpolysiloxane is used in making Silly Putty? As a matter of fact, Dimethylpolysiloxane is in many of McDonalds products, even the McNuggets, and you know what they say... if you can't pronounce it don't eat it! 

 Now for the vegans out there who think McDonalds fries are vegan, they're not. McDonalds flavor their fries with BEEF flavor, yuck. For the non pork eaters out there you better watch out, Mono and Diglycerides are in plenty of McDonalds ingredients, mainly their buns but also some of their fish, chicken, and beef products. Mono and Diglycerides can be derived from certain vegetable sources but they are mostly derived from pigs and cows.

  I could go on and on with all the harmful ingredients inside of Mickey D's foods but that would take up this whole page. It's bad enough as it is with all the fatty foods offered in McDonalds, but with all these additives its no wonder why there are so many obese sick people today and little do these people know that it could be the fast food causing their sickness. Don't believe me? Check the below studies.

  The director of the obesity program for the Children's Hospital Boston, David Ludwig, claims that "fast food consumption has been shown to increase calorie intake, promote weight gain, and elevate risk for diabetes". The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ranked obesity as the number one health threat for Americans in 2003. It is the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States and results in 400,000 deaths each year. About 60 million American adults are classified as being obese with another 127 million being overweight. Health issues associated with obesity causes economic despair regarding health care. According to a 2003 study conducted by RTI International in North Carolina, the cost of health care in America is said to increase by $93 billion a year, mainly from Type 2 diabetes and heart disease, both associated with obesity. 

 For those who still eat fast food out there, stop NOW! There's still time to save your health but you have to start now. Thanks for tuning in and please stay tuned for more articles to come. If you have any questions that I did not cover please feel free to email me or comment below and I will do my best to answer them.


 By: Jesus M. Maldonado



Do you want to be featured as a Guest Writer? Fill out the Request Form 

5 comments:

Stefanie said...

Great post! I stopped eating McDonald's a while ago and I don't miss it! As Maya Angelou says, "Once you know better, you do better..."

Will be following your blog Jesus! Good stuff!

Changing Woman said...

Great quote Stefanie! I'm glad that you stopped eating Mcdonalds... yuck. lol

JesusM9 said...

Thank you both for your support, and I also agree that is a great quote!

SenoraG said...

Oh yuck, guess where I don't think I will eat again! Thanks? LOL I have a long way to go to get to where you are but it all starts with one step right?

Changing Woman said...

Correct SenoraG. It just takes one step to eating healthier. Instead of McDonalds,go to a sit down place (with fresher burgers) Instead of fries, have a salad. Instead of soda drink water. Eventually it will become habit and you won't desire fast food.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...