Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Help! I'm Paralyzed!

Help! I'm Paralyzed! This is a thought that has gone through many individuals mind as they rest in bed. Don't worry, it isn't permanent.

Sleep paralysis is a natural occurrence in the human body. It serves as a 'defense' mechanism,  preventing people from acting out dream images. When a person falls asleep the body temporarily becomes paralyzed. While we are sleeping, we are unaware that this is occurring. However, there are moments when the brain awakens before the body and the person becomes aware; this is when people start thinking Help! I'm Paralyzed. During this moment that may last seconds or several minutes, the individual is frightened, many thoughts run through the mind,anxiety occurs- all of this is normal. If this happens to you the best thing to do is try to stay calm. In this state of paralysis, you can actually do a few cool things. If you are novice, this will sound impossible and silly to do;  however, for veteran sleepers, sleep paralysis can be a precursor to astral projection, outer body experiences, and/or lucid dreaming.

Next time you think Help! I'm Paralyzed, instead of panicking, stay calm and try exploring the many interesting things you can do while in this state.

Keeping dreaming,
L

This blog post was inspired by Day 16 of the SITS Problogger Summer Challenge.


On any given day, you can find L.Marie on her website, www.closedlids.com, her personal blog, www.lmariedreams.blogspot.com, or on twitter, www.twitter.com/closedlids. Join the conversation and interact.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh man, I don't hear about sleep paralysis much these days, but I use to suffer from a terrible dream where I attacked wherever I was sleeping by an unknown male assailant. I taught myself to "wake up" by yawning. I never really woke up, just within the dream but that could be enough to break the cycle. Luckily this doesn't happen much anymore.

Changing Woman said...

Thanks for the comment amanda! Wow. Being attacked in your sleep especially from an unknown person, may have indicated that some in your life(unknown) didn't have your best interests in mind. It is good that within this lucid dream, you were able to figure out a way to allude this attack.

I am giving my eBook away for free today to all new readers. I will send you a copy today :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...