Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mix It Up Mondays: L.Marie- Do You Use a Dream Dictionary?

Do You Use a Dream Dictionary?

It is interesting that many believe that there could be multiple sources that stimulate a dream. If this belief is held by some, why use one source to interpret dreams? A dream dictionary has a collection of common themes found in dreams and their definitions. These definitions are formulated after reviewing thousands of dreams and finding a common interpretation.

I do not use dream books. I have a few dream dictionaries in my book collection, but I can say I skimmed them when first purchased and put them back on my bookshelf. I have no problem with dreams dictionaries; I just feel that a bird in my dream does not have the same meaning as bird in the next persons dream.  Dr. Paul Jessen in 1855 published an article in which he stated “The content of dreams is more or less determined by the individual personality, by age, sex, station in life, education, habits, and by events and experiences of the whole past life.”  I believe that in order to accurately interpret and understand a dream other factors need to be considered.  There are some themes that may be similar amongst individuals, but not everyone is going through the same life experiences as the next person.  I suggest for a beginner* wishing to understand their own dreams, to purchase a dream dictionary. I was given as a gift the Dream Dictionary by Tony Crisp, I actually like this book, it not only discusses definitions, but key issues that come hand in hand with dreams.

*Note to reader: I believe that no matter how good an interpreter, the dreamer is the only one who can truly understand and decipher the dream. I often gain affirmation that I am on the right track by feedback received from those whose dreams I have interpreted. Normally, after I interpret a dream and the individuals says “wow that really connected”, or “that is so true”, etc. I know that I have opened that dreamer’s eyes and they are now more aware of the issues going on in the waking life.

-L. Marie

Do you want to be featured as a Guest Writer? Fill out the Request Form on the Closed Lids website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...